- from the Artichoke Food Coop!
Enjoy a savory medley of fresh, local flavors with just a few simple steps! This dish is a delicious fit for any meal of the day- and all of the ingredients for this recipe are available at the Artichoke Food Coop.
Vegetarian Bac’n, Cheddar and Basil Quiche
- Created for the Artichoke Food Coop by Mary Brigitte Hampton
|Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
1 c. milk or cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
2 Tablespoons Bac’n bits, Organic (Vegetarian)
1/4 cup fresh Basil, chopped
1 cup extra sharp Cheddar, shredded
|1 cup All Purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sunflower or canola oil
1/4 cup ice water
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare the crust first:
- Mix flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt together with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, beat oil and water together until it thickens.
- Pour into dry mix and stir ingredients until a soft dough forms.
- Press into dough into a 9″ pie pan.
- Cover the entire bottom of the crust evenly with the shredded cheese.
- Finally, whisk the eggs, milk, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cayenne thoroughly. Gently fold in basil and Bac’n bits.
- Pour the quiche mixture over the cheese layer.
- Bake 50 minutes, or until golden brown. Let rest for 30 minutes before serving.
Keep leftovers (if there are any!) refrigerated.
Yield: One 9″ Quiche.
- Gluten Free: Skip the crust! Follow the directions for the quiche filling and pour directly into a greased pie plate or muffin tins. Remember to let rest after removing from oven, so that the quiche will firm before serving.
- Appetizer Size: Use tart size tins or muffin tins lined with cupcake liners to create smaller hand and bite size versions. The ingredient amounts above will give you about 3 tart size or 6 muffin size mini quiches. The cooking time remains the same because the tarts are about the same width as a pie tin and the muffins (though smaller in diameter) are thicker than a single pie.
- All out of hot pepper? Crush 2 whole dried Chili Peppers in a small bowl using the back of a spoon.